The Queen of the Tearling

The Queen of the Tearling  - Erika Johansen I loved this book. I devoured it in one day.Have you ever read a book where the authors' voice seemed so very familiar, like a blending of all you favorite authors? Did you ever read a book where the plot line seemed familiar, comfortable, yet it was fresh and new (at least it was to me) and had interesting twists? That is what this novel was to me -comfortable, yet intriguing - familiar, yet new. Captivating.

Yes, there were some problems but not as many as so many would have you believe.The author does not explain her world and why should she? I've read many famous authors who refuse to give their worlds a definition. This could be a dystopian world, or it could not be. It could be outer space for all the explanation the author gives us. If it really matters to you, you will not like this book.If a nineteen year old girl who has just been taken from everything she ever knew is always supposed to make sense to you, then this is not the book for you.

This is not the typical YA book, nor would I even recommend it for anyone under 17 or maybe 16. If you don't want your young teen to read about the heroine killing, secondary and tertiary characters being lewd and using the same language...then nope this didn't the book for them. Then again it's a different world and I think kids could really get into this, especially girls who need a strong yet questioning and sometimes unsure heroine.