If You Only Knew

If You Only Knew - Kristan Higgins This review is from: If You Only Knew (Paperback)
Have you ever read a book that you just knew right from the very beginning you would be best of friends with these characters if they were only real? This is how I felt once I was a couple of chapters into this novel.

This book was almost everything I love in a book - it was filled with realistic characters, realistic situations, some happiness and a lot of sad...the one thing, and an important thing, it was lacking was humor. Not that there was totally none, but it just wasn't there in big enough doses to make this a 5 star rated book.

I read to escape the realities and trauma's of everyday life -this book just left me weeping through most of it. The love of the sister's for each other was plain to see, the love that Jenny pours into her creations is obvious, Rachel's love for her triplets is plain to see...but the heart-aches just took a bit too much out of me and out of this book.

Getting to the 'happily-ever-after was almost too painful to get to and didn't last long enough to satisfy me or to make up for all the other trauma.
Seeing two such smart women mess up their lives for two such worthless men was astounding to me.

What is even odder for me is even with all that said, I could not put this book down -even though it was a painful journey through Rachel and Jenny's lives, it was fascinating and so well written that I can look beyond my own petty problems with this book and see that the author was trying to tell us - that we as women are so much more than just being a shadow to the men in our lives. We shouldn't forgive lying out of hand, we need to have a spine...and I'm happy to say that each of these women did learn this lesson. It was a difficult and rocky path, but they learned.

Most of Ms Higgins other novels may have the sadness, frustrations and problems of everyday life that this one had, but they also usually include a good dose of humor. Yes, the humor is mostly the self-depreciating kind, but it is humor nonetheless. You need to really look closely to see the humor interspersed with the pain in this book.

It really was a satisfying read for me, even with the issues I had with it.