Auntie Mame

Auntie Mame - Patrick Dennis, Paul Rudnick, Michael Tanner Like I always say "Never Judge a Book by Its Movie." You had better beleive nothing can be less true that with this book.

If you have ever seen the movie "Auntie Mame" made with Rosalind Russell and enjoyed it - you will enjoy this book just as much. Perhaps a little more actually!

Although at times it is difficult to follow, since we are talking about the late 1920's and we only go about 20 or so years into the future from there, that means a lot of the language and expressions may be a little difficult to understand.

This is the life of an irreverent, quirky, rich, idealistic, hedonistic woman and her orphaned nephew that she needs to raise until he is 18. The adventures, the life, the humor and sadness -everything to make for a wonderful beach read is all here. It is witty and dry and just a perfect read.

It also translates into the 21st century quite well since there are still scads of people just like Mame.

There is also a lot that had been left out of the original movie and it was fantastic reading those parts. It is interesting to see what a rich, ultra-Liberal world was like back then. Mame's life was not always portrayed realistically, but it was fun to read nonetheless. However, I can safely assure you that the portrayal of Connecticut back in that time period and even now is/was spot on.

The film adaption didn't stray too far from the book, and I am very glad I took the time to immerse myself in Mame and Dennis' life and times.

Go, read the book, watch the movie and let me know which you found to like better.