Staged to Death

Staged to Death - Karen Rose Smith I must agree with another reviewer, that I do not understand all of the 4 and 5 star reviews. I have been reading cozy mysteries for years and I have very rarely come across on that depended more on side stories and the writers interests, than I have with this book.

I learned more about decorating, redecorating and the staging business than I did about the murder of Ted. I realize that this is the first book in the series and it needs to set things up for future books with back-story on the characters and such, but this book really left nothing to explore in the future books. I also don't like the fact that the author is following a trope that so many other authors are trying to follow(and they mostly do it just as badly, think Joanne Fluke)in this genre - which is having two love interests for the protagonist.

With this book following so many other authors formulas (multiple love interests, adding recipes etc.) and not being particularly creative at it - I can safely say that, while I will always wonder if the author learns from her mistakes, I don't think I will take a chance on using up my reading time to find out.