The Highlander Next Door

The Highlander Next Door  - Janet Chapman Janet Chapman has in the past, written so many books that I am constantly re-reading that I could never really believe that she would ever write a book that I am unenthusiastic about. A book that I wouldn't be able to praise to kingdom come. Until now.

The first 15 -18% of the book is pretty much spent recapping all of the past books and you will find that this happens during the book also. The characters and the romance never really seems as fully developed as in the past books. The magic never has to be explained to Birch. Birch; is that a French-Canadian name? I'm not used to non-famous parents naming their children after trees or plants!

The story line is a little preposterous, but then again usually the story is more about the romance than anything else. The mysteries are usually secondary to anything else. However, in this particular book, the romance seemed to take a back-seat to they mystery.

If anything, this book seems to be a set-up for upcoming volumes and it really left something to be desired for me.

I have a feeling this won't be the last time we see these particular secondary characters and the build up of the forest God might lead to the best book yet...I hope. Otherwise this book may just be a bad book and not the stepping stone I hope it to be!

****Book 7 will be coming out (unfortunately Amazon has deleted the page for the new book) called "Call it Magic ( A Spellbound Falls Romance)" -and B&N doesn't show it either.