Real Murders

Real Murders - Charlaine Harris 4.5 Stars - Interesting Cozy, February 24, 2014

This review is from: Real Murders: An Aurora Teagarden Mystery (Kindle Edition)
I am one of the readers that did not expect Aurora Teagarden to take on the same characteristics as Sookie Stackhouse. And I thank heavens that this series is the complete opposite.
This is more of a cozy mystery with a little (very little) titillation thrown in. More on this later! ;-)

The gist of it is that Aurora belongs to a group of avid readers that love to read about murders, discuss said murders and obsess about these murders. Some of them are very old and some modern murders.

Aurora is supposed to be at the podium lecturing on this particular night - that is, until one of the club members goes missing and them shows up dead...in the same manner of the murder that Aurora was just getting ready to lecture about.
It just so happens that one of the members of the club happens to be a burglary detective, so this gives Aurora a bit of a legitimate reason to be sticking her nose in things. Actually - let me say that this is one of the first cozies in which the protagonist does NOT take matters into her own hands to the point that you want to tear out your own hair in exasperation!

The mystery was sufficiently difficult with enough red-herrings thrown in to keep you on your toes. There is a nice little romance going on with Aurora and two men - one new to town and a writer, and the Detective. I don't particularly like stories in which the female strings two men along, but everyone else seems to like these so there you go! This is why I dropped the stars from 5 (it is a perfect book for its genre) to 4.5 stars.

The set up for the following books in the series is obvious, but not overly-done, the characters are well fleshed out an open to growth. As I said the mystery aspect is pleasantly but not overly difficult to follow and the murderer surprised me which is sometimes hard to do.,

I loved it. But then again I love all of Charlaines series, and cant wait for the newest!