The Cowboy Wins a Bride

The Cowboy Wins a Bride - Cora Seton As is typical in this type of series, we have two seemingly mismatched lovers, who you know want to be together but are too stubborn to do anything realistic about it. This book will ask you to stretch your disbelief a bit, since the male protagonist, Jamie, jams an engagement ring onto the female protagonist’s, Claire’s, finger at her brother’s wedding. With no finesse at all Jaime just gets scared when he hears that Claire may be leaving to travel for a while and all of his plans to woo Claire, fly out of the window. Claire thinks that Jaime is playing a joke at her brother’s wedding and is quite cruel to him.

So a bet ensues and Jamie now has 6 weeks to woo his one true love, but without flirting or touching, which of course is impossible. And he may not do the same with any other woman, because Claire thinks wrongly, that Jamie is a hound dog only looking to score.
This book had a bit of a rocky start with me, when I found out that Jamie felt that he needed to have a ranch before Claire would even pay attention to him. This bothered me that he would be in love with what I would consider a shallow woman. There are plenty of issues with this plot for me. One of the major ones is that when Jamie finally has a chance to tell Claire the truth that he loves her and wants her to be his wife he instead turns his proposal into a ‘bet’. I know that without this plot device there would be no story, but if the characters were at least a littlest bit likeable, I could have over-looked this issue. But they were not likeable – I could not see myself being friends with any of them.

This is a light, fluffy, fast read and for most it will be an enjoyable couple of hours – it isn’t supposed to be great literature, it is just supposed to be fun for the reader. A few hours of vacation from the rest of the worlds stresses and that is exactly what you will get.