Big Bad Beast

Big Bad Beast - Shelly Laurenston Big Bad Beast by Shelly Laurenston

This is the one book by this author that the female protagonist reminds me of someone else. Shelley Laurenston writes another series under the name G.A. Aiken, and Dee-Ann Smith, former Marine and all around wet-work handler reminds me an awful lot of the (and I quote) “female warrior with a nickname like Annwyl the Bloody.” from Dragon Actually which is the first book in that series.

That said you can clearly see just what kind of woman Dee-Ann is. She is intolerant, sarcastic, adept with a knife or gun, short tempered and did I already say intolerant? But what she doesn’t know is that many years ago, when she was about 6 years old someone had fallen in love with her. Of course at the time I think he was only about 8 so it works out perfectly!. Then many years later they meet again by chance at a friends house and Ulrich just decides on the spot that he is going to have that woman…perhaps even marry her. He knows what he’s going to be up against, so this sly wolf just has to do his best work to get her to fall in love with him.

This was a great book, even more exciting than the last one and slightly less relationship driven also.

What I love about these books is that no matter what is going on, no one is brooding or angst-ing over the life they have been dealt. They all have very healthy outlooks on who and what they are and what their strengths are. Everyone is sarcastic, funny caring and loving, it just takes a while to see it on some of these people!.

This book, as I have already mentioned, is mostly relationship driven, with wonderful and fully fleshed characters, great secondary and tertiary characters. There is great dialogue, fairly exiting action sequences and a good sub-plot that has been carrying over from the beginning and heating up in these last couple of books.

While this is a series and it will be to your benefit to read all the earlier novels, it is not imperative that you do so, since the author always add just enough back-story to keep you from not knowing just what is going on.