Loving Jenny - Theresa Weir Public Reviews Written by You RSS Feed

Edition: Paperback
Price: $8.97

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A Book You Will Re-Read, March 20, 2013

This review is from: Damocles (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine™ Program (What's this?)
One novel I had read a long time ago "Contact" by Carl Sagan set the standard for me for books from this genre. Of course in that book as well as many others that have followed almost always have us Earthlings making contact on our own planet. This is the first time I have come across a book in which the Earthlings make the first contact and the planet they land on has not ever space traveled.

This was a wonderful novel that kept me engrossed the entire way and in fact, I wish it were an even longer book so I could see what happens to everyone. The characters are complex and the author takes pains in proving that though the Dideotans are similar to us, yet in their own subtle ways they are vastly different. We get a good description of the natives but it still boggled my mind, so I never really had a clear picture of them. I did get a feeling that they were more like us than I thought but even though they had a lot of technology, they were still a few rungs below us on the physical evolutionary ladder. It is not until the last couple of chapters that I did have my suspicions confirmed.

The book did get a bit bogged down in the complexity of what these two `sides' had to do just to start to communicate and the lack of communication did get a little frustrating for the reader. However, if the author had simplified it in any way I think that the purity of the story would have been compromised and it would not have been such a thought provoking novel.

I think if you give this book a chance, it will grab you and not let you go until the very last page.

4.5 out of 5 stars - Re-Print, March 20, 2013

This review is from: Loving Jenny (Kindle Edition)
I knew something was off when I was reading this novel. I mean Lucas, our hero had at one time had a draft number and his best friend was affected by the Vietnam war. That would mean our hero and heroine would have had to be in their 60's now at least! And although I would love a sexy story about someone older, I don't think this would have been the best of ideas! LOL! So I finally looked it up and found that this book was first produced in the late 80's, which makes so much more sense.

Other than that little problem, this was a wonderfully sweet, semi-sexy and deep novel for this genre.

Jenny May has been working with a rescue mission to help those that have been affected by tragedy. On this last mission to an earthquake ravaged town, she has been horribly affected both physically and mentally - she had been trapped for three days underground when an aftershock damaged the building she was in when she was trying to rescue someone who was trapped but still alive.

She is now staying on a quiet farmer hoping to heal. While there she meets the towns Veterinarian who eventually realizes that there is something deeply wrong with Jenny. But that's ok, he has a lot of practice healing those who cannot speak for themselves. What he didn't figure on was falling in love with this broken creature.

Ms Weir has a way with words and it shows in this short novel of about 200 pages. The characters are complex, the story is sweet but not overly so, and while the story may be a tad predictable (it is after all a romance and that means it will fit a certain prescribed outline and a familiar pattern)it is not boring. The author has kept this fresh by offering a few twists and turns and personality quirks as well as added some good doses of mild humor.