A Matter of Trust

A Matter of Trust - Lis Wiehl, April Henry A Matter of Trust by Lis Wiehl

When life is murder, who can you trust?

Wow – this seems as if it is going to be a series I can really sink my teeth into. I am very surprised that with all of the books that this author has produced that I have not read anything by her yet. I am so glad I have now and I hope her past books live up to this one.
With this book, book 1 in this new series, we get to meet Prosecutor Mia Quinn and Detective Charlie Carlson – they seem to be the people we are going to get to know the best as this series progresses.
This book opens with Mia on the telephone with her good friend Colleen, another member of the Prosecutors office. They are chatting about life and the tag sale they are going to be having. Suddenly Mia hears a gunshot, a gurgling and Colleen doesn’t speak to her again, then life goes to Hell a little more.

This was a great, well thought out and well plotted mystery. It really kept me guessing since I truly suspected someone else throughout the entire book, than who really ‘did it’. The characters come alive and we learn a lot about Mia and her family. We learn a little less about Charlie, but I figure we will be learning more about him as well as some of the others members of the Prosecutors office as the series goes on.

The characters that we do meet, are well fleshed out, believable and mostly likeable. I didn’t spend a lot of time while reading this thinking that their actions are inane or unbelievable.
The novel is set at a pace that keeps you flipping the pages faster and faster, nearly tempted to skip to the back of the book to see who and why did it.