Discount Armageddon

Discount Armageddon - Seanan McGuire Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire

I loved Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, Book 1) and the entire October Daye series. Nonetheless, when I started this book today I initially had reservations that it might have been written for the younger adult crowd and would eventually leave me out in the cold. However, even at my advanced age of somewhere older than 30, I loved this book tremendously! It had everything a great book should have going for it. Comedy, mystery (wow and what a mystery!) beasties; both good and bad, reputations to be righted and possibly love to be found.

This book also had some interesting and glaring editing errors that made me chuckle, but that does not detract at all from the story.

What can I say about the plot that you haven't read in either the synopsis or others reviews? It's a pretty simple one. Really!

Verity Price has always wanted to dance ballet, tap ballroom...it didn't matter. The problem is is that her parents trained her from nearly birth to be a cryptozoologist (I had to look that word up! (It is the study of unknown or hidden animals like the Yeti) Meanwhile her entire family for generations have worked for the Covenant a group that makes it their reason for living to kill all of the `hidden animals; although the Prices tired of the mass destruction of the cryptid's and ran and went into hiding. Now they are considered traitors and should be taken down. Meanwhile Verity's family truly does study them--and work with them and are related to some of them (Verity even dances in competitions with some of them!) and are friends with a lot of them.

Enter Dominic De Luca a young good looking member of the Covenant, come to New York to see if the cryptid's need purging to keep their numbers down. Do you smell romance in the air? Of course you do!

Things go from wacky to worse and back to wacky as more and more young unmarried cryptid females go missing and Verity and Dominic step in to investigate.