The Paid Companion

The Paid Companion - Amanda Quick Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick/Jayne Castle --- three wonderful series and styles from one single author. I particularly loved this book and have read it many times since it first came out. Now I have it for my Kindle and re-read it last night. It still makes me smile, squirm with the steamy scenes and ponder how Ms Quick makes a woman from that place and time period so clever, yet affable and likable to the reader.

Elenora Lodge has just lost everything she owns to her step-fathers creditors. But Elenora has a conscience and worries what may come of the people working on the farm. That is just the type of person she is. Nice, trustworthy, clever. Why is she clever? Because she isn't supposed to leave with anything other than her clothes, but she had a plan and it worked. Now she just needs to find a job so she can save money to buy and stock a book store.

Arthur Lancaster, Earl of St. Merryn needs a paid companion and while he can't find one that will suit his purposes, in flounces Elenora in a tizzy because she can't find the perfect employer! Arthur hires her to do a little more than be a companion, he wants her to pretend to be his fiance. You see he needs to investigate a murder, some odd alchemy, and to have her keep the young chits and their Mama's off of his back. The only problem is, is that he has been heard to say that when he got married he was going to marry a paid companion, so it would be like a business deal. It all seems to be working well for Elenora and Arthur, at least until the butler eavesdrops on them. Now soon there are several more murders to look into and someone may be after Elenora.

This was richly written with smoothly drawn and highly believable characters. Even the Alchemy part makes sense. And leave it to Amanda to write such lovely and funny love scenes!

If you love late Regency/early Victorian as much as I do I think you will appreciate this novel for exactly what it is...a fun good read.