Poison Study

Poison Study  - Maria V. Snyder As the first book in this series we find author Ms Snyder creating and explaining her new world to us and does so with delightful and intricate detail. The characters of Yelena and Valek are deep with many layers. The mystery and intrigue will keep you on the edge of your chair. While I may not like the rest of the series(I have read all of them) this book can be read as a stand alone and would still be quite satisfying even if you don't follow through with the rest of them.

Yelena is abruptly saved from her execution with the offer of the job as the Commander of Ixia's food taster. Her savior is Valek,the chief of security and assassin extraordinaire. Yelena accepts this position (and who wouldn't to escape an unfair execution?) and is quickly thrust into court politics, secrets and back-stabbing.

A fascinating world filled with mystery and suspense, intregue and the good and bad of the people surrounding Yelena. The characters grow even in this very first book and story is a plot driven one. There is a bit of a romance eventually but is it only one sided? You need to read to find out and I highly recommend this book.