Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman

Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman  - J.B. Lynn If you are thinking that this sounds like 'chick-lit' or a light funny read, you may be in for a surprise. I was very surprised as to how this book played out, murdering another human for cash is a difficult subject to get the average reader to grasp. While this book did have a lot of elements of humor ( a talking lizard and at the end a dog?) I found the themes to be terribly dark but totally engrossing. The author managed to write a multi-layered, very deep character no matter how flighty she may seem on the surface.

Maggie has had a difficult life. She has lost many of her sisters to death and now she has just lost another and her her brother-in-law in a car accident which also left her 3 year old niece in a coma. She is trying to find a way to get money to keep her niece in a good hospital, when circumstances that she couldn't control have a mobster offering her a hundred grand to off his son-in-law...a true scumbag.

It was difficult for me to put myself in Maggie's place when she does decide to take the mobster up on his offer. But the author has done her best to write this so we have empathy for Maggie.

One problem I had is that the editing could have been a little better. I caught a problem with the description of Maggie's work friend who had an accident with a Zamboni and I wondered how they let this get through.