I Don't Know How She Does It I Don't Know How She Does It I Don't Know How She Does It - Allison Pearson I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother [Kindle Edition]
(October 1, 2002)

I saw the advertisement today on TV for the movie made about this book. It looked to be fun, funny and engrossing so I immediately bought the book without ever reading any of the reviews. I greedily jumped right in reading and found myself after a few chapters, falling asleep. Now a book that got the reviews it did, shouldn’t put one in a stupor should it? Frankly my motto is “don’t judge a BOOK by its movie”, in other words books are always much better than the movies right? I’m afraid I did the reverse with this book; I judged the book by the movie preview and now I’m going to beg Amazon for my 12$ back.

I realize that most likely when this book first came out it was different from the other books about women out there. Most likely, at the time it was edgy, funny and even thought provoking. Now it just seems trite, with an annoying female lead (Kate), annoying secondary characters (husband, children, nanny, etc) an overused and largely predictable plot and I can’t stress enough, a very annoying nearly dis-likable main character. It is slow to get off the ground, and actually never even manages to hover let alone soar. This book is filled with so much inner angst, repetition of thoughts and trivialities that I just wanted to throw the book against the wall—unfortunately, it is on my Kindle.

Allison Pearson should have done a little research before she wrote this book because she made one of her characters nearly exactly like one from the movie “Baby Boom” which came out before her book did.

Please, please don’t make the same mistake I did in thinking that you’d like to read the book before you go to the movie---save your cash---I really wish I did.