A Stroke of Midnight

A Stroke of Midnight - Laurell K. Hamilton Merry is racing against time...there has been a murder within the Sithin, one of the Unseelie and a human reporter to be exact. The politics is still there, greater than ever as well as the race to get Merry pregnant before Cel is free from his torture.

It is interesting that some places has this series listed under the horror genre and I would have to agree. There is one particular scene at the end when you may just have to be near a bathroom while you read it just in case you need to 'urp' while reading it!

What was somewhat annoying with this book (one of the things mind you) is the fact that the writing centered less around the main mystery (plot) and delved ever more deeply into the sexual aspects of the Unseelie.

Although good things are happening because of the sex, some of it seemed more like filler to me. This is where the erotica aspects comes into play. As a matter of fact if you are also reading the Anita Blake series you will see many similarities between the writing, certain key words, positions, pre-sex discussions and phrases being used during the sex scenes. This can be annoying for readers of both series. Actually it can become annoying when a reader is only reading the one book. Take for example the word "spill"...just how many times does reader want to see that particular word used? It became grating on my nerves. One thing to watch out for is a 'double berthing' scene - that was interesting and a bit unusual 9and a bit shocking)to see in a mainstream book like this one. You'll see what I mean by that phrase after you read this.

Even though the threads of the initial plot are lost and we never hear or see the human police or the FBI again, you tend to get caught up in the story until the very ending, and then you find yourself scratching your head wondering what the heck you missed.

However, the politics, intregue and mystery did sustain much of this book and even though it only took place over one day. This book served its purpose to bring us to the next book quite well.