A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry, #1)

A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry, #1) - Laurell K. Hamilton A Kiss of Shadows – Merry Gentry by Laurell K. Hamilton

With the next book in this series, finally coming out I decided to do a re-read of the first eight books. I am so glad I did, because I had forgotten just how much I loved most of them.

If you are thinking that, you could just start with “A Shiver of Light” and get enough background from the book to understand it, I would like to suggest that you do not try to do so. However, most of Ms Hamilton’s books do have a goodly amount of background (almost repetitively so) in each continuing novel. Enough to put long time reader teeth on edge sometimes.
Still, start here because it is this book that will explain everything you need to know. If you are expecting something like the earlier Anita Blake book, rest assured that is not what you are going to get. Anita Blake started out as a very clean yet violent series and evolved into a more erotic one. This series starts off admittedly erotic, but not with as much actual sex as one might think. The sex is there, don’t get me wrong. In addition, the sex is very graphic when you do get to it, but that is because the Fey are very, very sexual creatures and Merry Gentry happens to be from a long line of fertility gods and goddesses.
Court politics, assassination attempts, backstabbing and mystery solving takes center stage with this book.

I won’t go into much detail s to the plot of the story as I don’t want to ruin anything for you. Just know this –Merry had exiled herself from Faerie for very good reasons, but now her Aunt, The Queen of Air and Darkness wants Meredith to come home. The Queen has something that only Merry can do for her…well Merry and the Queens son Cel.

Meredith also comes into one of her ‘hands of power’ in this novel and in a very graphic way.

This book (series) is a fun new way to interpret the Faeries, Goblins and other things that go bump in the night. It is also great to see that the two courts –the Unseelie and Seelie. One court is of the Dark that takes in all creatures, and the court of Light who kicks out their ‘mistakes’. Both courts are beautiful yet perverse.

His novel has it all, graphic violence graphic sex, sexy men and of course Merry Gentry, a short curvaceous, dark haired bit of perfection. This is where you will see the two series similarities.