The Iron Daughter

The Iron Daughter - Julie Kagawa “The Iron Daughter” by Julie Kagawa

This is the second book in the Iron Fey series, and I believe it would be advisable for you to have already read “The Iron King” first as you will need much of the back-story form the first book to understand this one. Book 3 “The Iron Queen” will be coming out in February of 2011.
In the “Iron King” we learned that Meghan chase is part Fey, daughter of Oberon the summer King and we followed her into the Fey realms to rescue her four-year-old half brother that was exchanged for a changeling and she finds out that her best friend is really Puck from “A Midsummer’s Night Dream”. At the end of that book we leave Meghan falling in love with Ash who is the Winter Prince (Winter Court or Dark Court), and following him into the Winter Court to fulfill a promise/contract she made with him. With the advice not to trust anyone even him, she is left to fend for herself (Or so she thinks). Due to some behind the throne machinations, we find the Summer Court and the Winter Court preparing for war, but only Meghan and Ash know that it’s the Iron Fey who needs to be stopped.

While these books give us interesting and refreshingly different worlds. (for instance the Iron Fey is all about technology, computers taking over the Worlds, etc.) The characters are weakly drawn and the romantic part of the story seems a bit over blown, over the top and unrealistic even for younger teen girls to enjoy. Meghan spends much of her time being weepy and a bit mealy-mouthed which I don’t think the targeted audience will enjoy. What is interesting if a little intense, are the fights (bloody and descriptive), the political intrigue and the secondary characters.

This is not a horrible book, but it isn’t the best in this genre either. I will be reading the last book in this trilogy to see how this all works out.