Pray for Silence

Pray for Silence - Linda Castillo Pray For Silence by Linda Castillo

This is the second installment of Linda Castillo's Amish detective/police procedural series; and while it may be enjoyable and even advisable for you to read her first novel "Sworn to Silence" to get a better idea of the background of our main characters, the town and the religion, it is not absolutely necessary. Though I have a feeling that once you've read "Pray For Silence" you'll be hunting down the last book to see what you have missed!

This book is set in the fictional Ohio town of Painters Mill, a small town with much of the townspeople being of the Amish faith. One night in mid autumn, Officer Chuck "Skid" Skidmore is taking a break from patrol when he hears the eerie howl of what could be a cow mooing, or a dog that has been hit by a car. Unfortunately it was nothing so simple. It was the screaming of a man who had just found the bloody bodies of several members of a family. We come to find out that there are 7 dead family members including an infant and two tortured teenage girls, and that this crime looks like a murder suicide.

Right from the very first chapter, with no breathing room whatsoever, Linda grabs on to your throat and doesn`t let go. Actually you won`t want her to let go since this book is so spell binding, provocative and complex. There are some very clever red herrings and a tiny bit of clever misdirection with some of the suspects. Frankly, I thought I had it figured out, but was pleasantly surprised to be surprised at the ending.

To complicate things further there are relationship problems between Kate and John Tomasetti a BCI agent who has helps Kate in the past and will do so again in this book. And further problems arise when the other Amish are a little reluctant to get involved with the "Englishers". Linda has a deft way of blending the Amish religion and lifestyle into these novels that deal with things the Amish rarely have to contend with.

A superb read and I will be waiting anxiously for the next book in this series.