The Bodyguard

The Bodyguard - Leena Lehtolainen The Bodyguard (The Bodyguard series Book 1) by Leena Lehtolainen
I am not sure, if it is the translation from Finnish to English that is making this book so difficult for me to read and enjoy, or if it just not that well written in the first place. I normally love books that are set (well at least to me) in exotic places, but this book is not doing it for me.

This book is written in first person and for a mystery, that is normally a very good thing, but getting and staying inside of Hilja Ilveskero’s head is a creepy thing for me. She has the personality of a 14-year-old sexual predator with an obsession for lynx’s. Yes, you heard me correctly – the part of the first chapter is spent on this; as are many other parts of many other chapters. As I got to the 75% mark, I had still not understood what the importance of the lynx was and I am bored enough at this point to not care.

The mystery aspect is interesting enough and the up to date background is quite interesting, politically speaking. Unfortunately, most of the book is not really spent with Hilja trying to solve the murder…it is spent on so many other things- thoughts, brooding moments and secondary characters.

The author seems obsessed with certain aspects of Hilja’s life and personality. For example, most of an entire chapter has us learning that Hilja had to undergo an internal exam when she was about six or seven due to a mistake on her teachers’ part. Very detailed description I might add…and just in case you missed the description the first time, you get to experience it a second time too! In addition, it came to nothing.

A lot of what is thrown into this book was repetitive (I wanted to scream if I had to hear about the New York Bodyguard school she went to, one more time and that is just one example). Perhaps the repetitiveness will make further books in this new series make more sense, but I can say that it makes THIS book to be a difficult read.

The chapters that bring us to the conclusion and explanation of the crimes, is so unbelievable that I very nearly laughed at what I felt the absurdity of it all.

Again, all of this might be from the translation: stilted dialogue, cardboard characters, clichés…but I think not. I think I just don’t get Scandinavian authors and that is unfortunate because I was so looking forward to something different.