Courting Demons

Courting Demons - Kerri Nelson
Courting Demons

One afternoon in a fit of pique over seeing her policeman husband making love to “a skinny blonde chick” in her shower, Paisley decides to enact a little vengeance in the form of a vengeance spell. Paisley used to practice the ‘arts’ with her best pal Lily until Lily made a deal with a Demon and died. Unbeknownst to Paisley that vengeance spell is considered by the ‘higher up’ to be using black arts. Especially since Paul does not turn into the baby opossum she really wanted but into a icky rat.
Unfortunately, while performing her spell she also opens a gate or portal to hell and learns that she will become the judge and jury to the Demons court. Sort of a small claims court if you will.

Now all this should sound like it would be a hilarious book right? Unfortunately, it is not. This was a fast easy read (mostly) and I know that this is the first book in a series so it is setting is up for things to come later. However, there is so much going on and so little time devoted to some of the more important things that I just started getting annoyed and confused. The character of Paisley can be at turns weepy, vomiting and annoying and then she has brief, extremely brief moments of kick-butt-ness. But she is not a strong enough character for me to like or care about this character YET. I really dislike seeing women portrayed as so weak. Perhaps it is because I am so used to reading about such strong paranormal characters.

Be warned this book ends on a huge cliffhanger! Nope, nobody is dead! Worse!