Cowboy Boots for Christmas: (Cowboy not included) (Burnt Boot, Texas)

Cowboy Boots for Christmas: (Cowboy not included) (Burnt Boot, Texas) - Carolyn Brown I usually love or at least like very much Carolyn's books, but this one? Ugh. They are generally sweet and funny and with a good story.

I tried; I really, really tried and I just could NOT finish this book. I hate having to give up before I even get half-way through, but this book just took the cake.

For starters Callie and her nephew Martin are in the Witness Protection program -yet when she and the 'hero' Finn go into town they announce her *real* name to a store owner. And just about everyone else to boot. Reality check please. Uhmmm no, just no.

Finn the hero is salivating, drooling, slobbering over Callie and it gets a bit on the icky side. However Callie is doing the same thing will Finn, double ick.

Martin, Callies nephew who has seen a murder and who is eleven (I think) is just the epitome of a Stepford/perfect child that I just wanted to scrub my brain. I don't believe this one little bit -it's possible for a child to be perfect, sure, but it sure doesn't make for enthralling reading. (of course Ms Brown has a habit of making the kids in her books uber cutsie)

And let us not even talk about all the animals that seem to show up in the first 24/48 hours.

There is so much going on yet no time passes at all.

I can't suspend my disbelief this much and keep my sanity intact. Therefore I am saving my sanity and not even going to attempt to finish this. I should have spent my money on something else, anything else.