Witch Hunt: An Urban Fantasy Mystery (Preternatural Affairs) (Volume 1)

Witch Hunt: An Urban Fantasy Mystery (Preternatural Affairs) (Volume 1) - S M Reine I rarely buy self-published authors, but there was something about the blurb and the cover that had me clicking the 'buy now' button when I came across this book. I'm very glad I did buy it and I will be buying the second book also.

That is not to say that this book didn't have some problems...it did, but they were not problematic enough to keep me from enjoying this read.

It was a fast read and the red herring thrown in kept me from guessing what was really going on. I have to say that the 'bad guy' the author was pushing us toward is the one I had thought did it right from the start.

One problem I had that I couldn't get out of my mind, is that when the author is confronted with her characters getting into a situation that the author can't find her way out of -she just seems to give a shrug. She may then go on to have her character says something like this quoted part " Somehow, we escaped . Don't even f***ing ask how, because I don't know." Something along this line was done several times during this novel.

The pacing was pretty good, the character development could have went a little deeper, as could have been done to the world building.

Yet, I still stayed up half the night to finish this book. I really liked Cesar Hawke and his brother. I loved the sarcastic , dry sense of humor (fatalistic even) that Cesar displays, and I hope to see in following book that he will get the girl, hopefully it will be the right one!